Stop what you’re doing and make these french fries. I’m serious. I’ve attempted to make french fries for a lot of years and I’ve finally hit the nail on the head. My secret? Using red potatoes. I recently started buying red potatoes more often because they are lower in starch and higher in Vitamin C than russet potatoes. When I tried them out as french fries, I literally couldn’t believe the taste.
- 5 pounds red potatoes (organic, if possible)
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- pepper to taste
- *** You will also need 2-3 high edge baking sheets or pizza pans
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
- Wash red potatoes and cut into wedges. (about 1/2 inch width is perfect)
- Soak potato wedges in a bowl of hot water for approximately 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, drain water and use a paper towel to pat dry the potato wedges.
- Put approximately 1/4 cup olive oil and a few shakes of pepper into a large bowl and add the potato wedges.
- Coat the potato wedges with the oil/pepper mix by vigorously moving the bowl around.
- Pour 1/4 cup of olive oil into each baking sheet/pizza pan.
- Put the potato wedges in the pans, in a single layer.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes total, rotating the pans every ten minutes, and flipping the french fries.
- When french fries are golden brown, they are ready!
- Put the french fries on a plate with paper towel in order to drain any excess oil and ENJOY!
Did you try them? Comment below and let me know what you thought!